Going through your Third-LIfe Alignment requires a woman to become exquisitely good at saying no.
No to the things, people, and activities that don’t feel good anymore.
No to the trappings of a life that isn’t yours.
No to anything – anything – that simply isn’t working for you and serving your ability to live in alignment with your values, your desires and your potential.
Here are a few ways to say no, when the word no itself might not feel right.
- That’s not for me, thanks.
- I’d rather not.
- Thanks, but not right now.
- I don’t think I’m the best person to ask. Have you tried….?
- This is not a good time for me / my family.
- I’ve been working on doing some reprioritizing, and I’ve decided to stop….
- I’d love to help, but perhaps in a lesser capacity. Is there something else I could do?
- That doesn’t really feel like “me.”
- I think I’ll pass.
- I don’t think I’d be able to give that my best effort; I wouldn’t feel good about saying yes to that right now.
- I’m going to focus my energy elsewhere, thanks.
- I’m really trying to simplify my life right now, and so I’ve decided not to add anything else to my schedule / life / plate at this time.
- That sounds amazing, but I’m not going to be able to.
- I wish I could.
- I’ve got a lot on the go right now; anything more would be too much for me.
- I’m learning how to say no to some things in my life. I’m going to practice that right now…no!
- No, thank you.
- That sounds like it might be a right fit for (so and so).
- Wow, what a great opportunity / idea / question. I wonder who you could get to join you / help you out / do that?
- Nope. Naw. No.